Mighty River Power engaged Cheal to design a cantilevered gantry structure to support a water intake pump/screen unit suspended in the Waikato River, including capacity for personnel and equipment.
To achieve this Cheal performed structural analysis and design of the proposed steel structure, allowing for all required loads and site specific geotechnical data for foundation design as well as adhering to current design codes and standards.
Cheal Engineers were responsible for all Civil and Structural design as well as Project Management including:
- Geotechnical Investigations
- Assessment of best pump location within the river
- Structural Design/Review of Steel Gantry
- Foundation Design
- Access Track Design
- Erosion and Sediment Control Plans
- Contract Administration/Project Management
Cheal Surveyors were tasked with the initial site survey, setout of foundations and structure during the construction phase.